VisaInChina starts this China visa news center since year 2008. Check the rules changing every year by clicking following links.

  • Our WeChat ID:
  • Your can follow our WeChat by scan left QR code
  • Follow it, You will get update China visa news!

Foreign Family Member can go back to China! - Shanghai government ease the PU invitation letter policy for foreign family member re-union in Shanghai.

22nd July 2020 - Since the Chinese government announced the "Temporarily Ban Policy" on 28th March 2020, if foreigner wants to come to China now, you need to apply a new visa in the Chinese Consulate/Embassy, only you have a new visa issued after 28th March, then you can enter China. If you want to apply a new visa now, you need to provide a < PU Letter > (Click to see the sample) which issued by the China foreign affair office. In the past, it's very difficult to get it. But now, shanghai foreign affair office (Following information is only for Shanghai, we don't know if it's the same in the other city) ease the policy of the < PU Letter >, following are 2 big changes:

  1. Before it must be a HUGE and NECESSARY economic/trade activities, now they REMOVE the wording of "HUGE and NECESSARY". It means, with a normal business activities, the company also can apply the < PU Letter > for foreigner. So predictable, the successful rate of the < PU Letter > will increase a lot.
  2. Company can apply the < PU Letter > for the foreign family member directly (if the employer is working here in shanghai, but their family member is still apart outside of China). Reason can be (for example, Kids need to study, Wife/Husband needs to take care of each other, etc.). So foreign family member can start to apply for that NOW!

Procedures in detail:

  1. Please ask your shanghai company contact the shanghai ministry of foreign affairs (Tel: 021-22161565), and ask about the <PU invitation letter>, they will give you the contact information of who are taking charge of this things in your company district.
  2. Contact the district foreign affairs officer, submit the application what they ask for and wait for approval.
  3. After the <PU invitation letter> issued, send it to foreign applicant
  4. Foreigner take it to the Chinese Consulate/Embassy to apply the M type of visa.

Because different company has different issues, about the paperwork in detail, please ask directly with the foreign affairs officer in your district, we don't list it here. VisaInChina list some Q&A's below about the < PU Letter > application for now:

Q1: Now for all foreigners want to enter China, they need to apply this < PU Letter >?
A: Yes, since the "temporary ban policy" take effect on 28th March 2020, for all foreigners who want to come to China, they need to apply a brand new visa from the Chinese Consulate outside. And the < PU Letter > issued by China foreign affair office is the most important requirement.

Q2: I am working for a shanghai company. Because of the COVID-19, I am getting stuck outside of China, How can I go back to Shanghai?
A: First of all, please make sure that your FWP (Foreign work permit, the blue card) is still valid (and be renewed already, How to renew it remotely even you are outside of China, please check here >>>). Secondly, please ask your shanghai employer apply this < PU Letter > for you. After you get the < PU Letter >, you can apply the M visa and come back to shanghai. After you enter China, if your previous work visa is still valid, you can continue staying and working here. If it's already expired, no worry, since your work permit is still valid, we can change your M visa back to work visa here in shanghai.

Q3: I am foreigner working in shanghai now, my wife is still apart from me outside of China, how can she come back to shanghai?
A: Above Big Change No.2 is special for your situation. You can ask your shanghai employer apply the < PU Letter > specially for your wife. With that letter, she can apply M or S1 visa in the Chinese Consulate and come back to shanghai. As soon as she arrives shanghai, apply the family residence permit.

Q4: How long it takes to apply this < PU Letter >? And it's good chance to get it or not?
A: It takes about 1 month time. It's worth to try now.

Q5: Every country citizen can apply this < PU Letter >? Any restriction country?
A: No restriction. Everyone can apply it.

Q6: After I enter Shanghai, Do I still need 14-days quarantine? if so, in where?
A: Yes, you still need to be quarantine for 14 days (only if your country has the "fast track" agreement with China can avoid it). And quarantine in the government designated location.

Q7: My company tried to apply the < PU Letter > for me before, but failed. Can they apply again?
A: Sure, Why not? It's good time to apply it again.

Q8: Will I have a higher success rate if we hire an agency to apply this < PU Letter >?
A: Honestly, no one can guarantee it, and it's no agency can increase the success rate. VisaInChina suggest the company apply it by themselves (because the company staff knows the company and foreigner's background much clearer than the agency). The government officer of the Foreign Affair Office (FAO) is very patient, and the checklist is in very details. So what you need to do is following the introduction of the FAO and file the application carefully. That's it. (The government will give the final decision)

Q9: Any special notice for applying this < PU Letter >?
A: Notice-1: You have to choose where/which consulate to apply your visa. It will be written in the < PU Letter > and can not be changed. (For example, if you choose Chinese Consulate in Paris to apply the visa, then you can NOT go to Chinese Consulate in Berlin to apply)
Notice-2: Passengers to China must take nucleic tests within 5 days (Negative certificate) before departure, more details >>>


Because of the new policy was just implemented, inquiries increase a lot. Please communicate with us by email. we will reply you in detail and in time.

First time consulting: Please email or call us, walk-in directly is not recommend.
In the process of document submission: Better use SF express to deliver it to us instead of come in person, we need more time to check your case to make sure it will go smoothly.
Any unavoidable visit: Please make an appointment with us in advance.

logoMeshing Consultancy Services Co., Ltd.
Address: Room 410, KYMS building C2, No.101 E Shan road, Pudong, Shanghai China. [ -MAP- ]
Operation Time: Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (12:30am-1:30pm lunch) Public Holidy Check here
Tel1: 021-51699039 (You can inquire in English, Japanese or Chinese)
Tel2: 021-63075776
Emergency: 13501828752