It has been 1 month since the Chinese government announced the "Temporarily Ban Policy" on 28th March 2020, below we have listed some Q&A that hopefully can help you clarify the policy and also including of some advice from VisaInChina

VisaInChina starts this China visa news center since year 2008. Check the rules changing every year by clicking following links.

  • Our WeChat ID:
  • Your can follow our WeChat by scan left QR code
  • Follow it, You will get update China visa news!

Q1: Do you know when this "Ban policy" will be lifted?
A: No, until now, it's no any official news about when this "ban policy" will be lifted, but if we see the serious attitude of the Chinese government how they fight the COVID-19, We estimate this "Ban policy" will last for a while. Anyway, please follow our wechat, VisaInChina will keep you informed.

Q2: I am in China now, I got my working visa renewed for another year till May 2021, and this new visa issued at 10th April. Since this visa is issued after the "Ban policy", can I use it to leave China and come back?
A: No, after we confirmed with the Shanghai custom, only the visa issued outside of China (in the Chinese consulate outside of mainland China) after 28th March 2020 which can be used to enter China. The visa renewed you got inside of China, if you leave the country, you still can’t come back.

Q3: My wife is Chinese and I have the family re-union visa issued 1 year ago at shanghai, it's still valid. We are in Italy right now, if my wife go back to China, can I follow her to enter China as well?
A: For your wife, because she is Chinese citizen, so she can go back to China, no problem. But because you are foreign country passport holder, you can’t follow her to enter China.

Q4: My work permit and my work visa will expires soon, I want to renew it, but I am outside of China now, what can I do?
A: You can do the work permit renewal remotely even you are outside of China. As soon as your work permit renewed, then it's no time pressure for you. even your work visa expired, you can apply a new business visa after the "Ban policy" lifted and come back to China, we can easily change that business visa to the work visa again here in shanghai. More details, you can check our article here >>

Q5: I am in Shanghai now, my work visa is still valid, and can I travel to other cities? Do I need another quarantine after I come back from other city?
A: Yes, you can travel, no problem. You don't need another quarantine after you come back from other cities. As far as we know, only Beijing is difficult to go now, you need to go the hospital do a virus test and get a COVID-19 negative certificate, then you can enter Beijing. The other city is all ok for traveling. But because different city have different control policy, we still suggest you check in advance before you go.

Q6: I have a 1 year multi-entries business visa, each entry 60 days, I entered China on 10th March and my current stay up to 9th May. Can I extend my stay here in China?
A: Because the Chinese government gave 60 days automatically extension to all foreigners here inside of China, so you can stay until 9th July, if you leave before 9th July, it's all legal and no any penalty.

Q7: I am in Shanghai and my 60 days automatically extension will finish soon too, I don't want to leave China, is there any way to have another 60 days extension?
A: You can go to the shanghai entry-exit bureau (No.1500 Min Sheng road, PuDong, Tel: 28951900) and apply the humanitarian visa, for example, you can’t get the plane ticket to leave China now, the officer there might consider it and give you another 30 days extra stay.

Q8: I am outside of China, I plan to go to China for working after the "ban policy" lifted. What can I prepare in advance?
A: To apply the China work permit, you need to provide a lot of documents which need to be legalized by the Chinese Consulate (as far as we know, some country’s Chinese Consulate is still providing the legalization service). So VisaInChina suggest you prepare following documents in advance, it can save you some time in the future:

1. Your bachelor/master degree certificate - legalized by the Chinese Consulate (after it's done, it's valid for ever)
2. Your country non-criminal record/police clearance - legalized by the Chinese Consulate (it's valid for 6 month from the non-criminal record issued date)
3. Your former working experience reference letter - issued by your former employer

Anyway, if you have any questions about it, feel free to contact VisaInChina experts, you can get their contact information in our Wechat – Contact – Find an Expert

Q9: I am the owner of a shanghai company, I have a 10 years business visa, each entry 90 days. Because I am not in the payroll in this shanghai company, so I didn't apply the work permit and work visa before. I might have the plan in the future to apply the China work permit and work visa. Is it ok for my situation?
A: First of all, I would like to say, that's a good idea.
Sure, since you are the owner of the company, you are definitely qualify for the China work permit and work visa, you can choose to apply the work permit as an employee or an investor. The paperwork and procedure are different, you can check with our expert team to get more information.


Because of the new policy was just implemented, inquiries increase a lot. Please communicate with us by email. we will reply you in detail and in time.

First time consulting: Please email or call us, walk-in directly is not recommend.
In the process of document submission: Better use SF express to deliver it to us instead of come in person, we need more time to check your case to make sure it will go smoothly.
Any unavoidable visit: Please make an appointment with us in advance.

logoMeshing Consultancy Services Co., Ltd.
Address: Room 410, KYMS building C2, No.101 E Shan road, Pudong, Shanghai China. [ -MAP- ]
Operation Time: Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (12:30am-1:30pm lunch) Public Holidy Check here
Tel1: 021-51699039 (You can inquire in English, Japanese or Chinese)
Tel2: 021-63075776
Emergency: 13501828752