144 hours China Transit Visa in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang

VisaInChina starts this China visa news center since year 2008. Check the rules changing every year by clicking following links.

  • Our WeChat ID:
  • Your can follow our WeChat by scan left QR code
  • Follow it, You will get update China visa news!

From 31st Jan 2016, Foreigners come from 51 countries who transit (destined for a third country or region - HK, Macau, Taiwan with booked a through air ticket) in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang within 144 hours (6 days) are exempted from visas for China. During the visa exemption period, the passenger is allowed to move around within Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. Details below:

Question 1: Which country passport holder can apply 144 hours transit visa?
Answer: Travelers from following 51 countries can apply for the 144-hour transit visa exemption, which are:

  • 24 Schengen countries in Europe: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherland, Poland, Portugal, Slovak, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.
  • 13 other European countries: Russia, Great Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Macedonia and Albania.
  • 6 American countries: The United States, Canada, Brazil, Mexico, Argentina and Chile.
  • 2 Oceania countries: Australia and New Zealand.
  • 6 Asian countries: Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Brunei, United Arab Emirates, and Qatar.

Question 2: 144 hours visa-free transit is available at which international port?
Answer: Will be granted a visa-free stay of up to 144 hours while in transit via following:

  • Shanghai Pudong International Airport (PVG)
  • Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA)
  • Shanghai Port of International Cruise Terminal
  • Shanghai Wusongkou Port of International Cruise
  • Port of Shanghai Railway
  • Nanjing Lukou International Airport (NKG)
  • Hangzhou International Airport (HGH)

Question 3: How to apply the 144 hrs China Transit visa?
Answer: After getting off the plane you will head for immigration. Look for a counter that says "144 hours Transit visa exemption", you need to provide following documents:

  • Your valid passport
  • Air ticket with confirmed date of flight and seat for a third country (region) traveling within 144 hours.
  • Arrival & Departure Card form (completely filled).

The immigration officer may ask you questions to confirm your travel plan, if everything is correct, he/she will stamp the transit visa on your passport immediately.

Question 4: How to calculate that 144 hrs to avoid any overstay?
Answer: After you enter China, start from the next day 0am for 6 days. For example, you enter Shanghai on 7am at 1st March 2016, then you can stay maximum till 12pm at 7th March.

If visitors are unable to depart on time due to unavoidable reasons, such as flight cancellation or treatment of sudden disease, they need to apply for a visa from Municipal Public Security Bureau (PSB).

Question 5: Any Restrictions of the 144-hour Visa-free Transit?
Answer: Transit visa regulation does not apply to passengers who travel on a single return flight (e.g., Hong Kong – Shanghai - Hong Kong), which means the destination and place of departure can not be the same. For example:
USA - Shanghai - Taiwan is available to apply 144 hrs transit visa in shanghai.
USA - Singapore - Shanghai - USA is available to apply 144 hrs transit visa in shanghai.
USA - Shanghai - USA is NOT available to apply 144 hrs transit visa in shanghai.

Question 6: With 144-hour Visa-free Transit, which city can I visit?
Answer: With the 144-hrs transit visa, You can go to Shanghai and any city in Jiangsu and Zhejiang province.

Question 7: Can I enter China from shanghai (apply the transit visa) and leave China from Hangzhou?
Answer: Yes, Hangzhou is a city in Zhejiang, as we mentioned above, during that 144 hours, you can travel to Zhejiang and leave China from there.

Question 8: Can I enter China from shanghai (apply the transit visa) and go to Beijing?
Answer: No, as we mentioned above, during that 144 hours, you can only travel among Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang. Any other city outside of those area is not available to go.

Question 9: If I take a cruise from Korea - Shanghai - Japan, can I apply 144 hrs transit visa?
Answer: Yes, you can. according to the Question 2, Shanghai Wusongkou Port of International Cruise is available to arrange 144 hours visa free transit.


So if you have any problem with your China Visa or any problem related to your China visas: PLEASE CONTACT

logoMeshing Consultancy Services Co., Ltd.
Address: Room 820, No.555 WuDing Rd (North Shaanxi Rd), Shanghai China. [ -MAP- ]
Operation Time: Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (12:30am-1:30pm lunch) Public Holidy Check here
Tel1: 021-51699039 (You can inquire in English, Japanese or Chinese)
Tel2: 021-63075776
Emergency: 021-33011478